Join the OPIRG York Board of Directors
Application for OPIRG York Board Members - DEADLINE April 25, 2017
OPIRG York will be celebrating our 25th year anniversary in the 2017/18 year and we need your help to prepare for another 25 years of doing research,education, and action on social and environmental justice issues on campus. Are you interested in gaining the skills required to effectively manage a student organization working to promote positive change on campus?
OPIRG York is currently seeking new board members to fill vacancies on the board for the 2017/18 year ending April 30, 2018.
Board of Directors agree to:
1) Responsibly and fully participate in and understand consensus decision-making
2) Commit to attending a bi-weekly 2 hour Board meeting
3) Commit to devote at least 3 hours a week in office/resource centre hours (not including board
4) Take responsibility for maintaining/bottom lining at least one portfolio
5) Take responsibility for the Board’s collective role as employer, representatives of the collective interests of student membership, community membership, and policy maker
6) Have sufficient time and interest to prepare for and participate actively in the above duties, along with other responsibilities, like general members’ meetings, committees, programming
7) Commit to working to maintain a healthy environment and space that is respectful of others, both physically and emotionally
8) Commit to constant learning and the deconstruction of oppressive power structures such as (but not limited to) sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, xenophobia, ableism and classism
9) Take collective responsibility for the organization’s finances, and understand that if the organization or board break the duties of diligence, loyalty or act unlawfully, you may be personally held liable
To apply submit a letter of interest explaining who you are and why you are interested in becoming a board member.
Also if you have any of the following qualifications make sure to include them in the letter:
1) Experience with OPIRG York
2) Experience with other campus/community organizations
3) Experience with responsibilities of a Board of Director
4) Knowledge of the structure of the and activities of OPIRG York
5) Knowledge of, experience with, and commitment to consensus decision-making
6) Time commitment to Board activities
7) Any other skills or experience that would be beneficial to OPIRG York
Please email your letter of interest to email@example.com. Deadline is Tuesday April 25th, 2017 at noon. Applicants are also invited to make an informal presentation on why they would like to join the board at the next Board of Directors meeting on Wednesday April 26, 2017 at noon in the OPIRG office (Student Centre room 449C).